Museum Section
Home PageSearchSite MapHelpFAQ
Home PageSearchSite MapHelpFAQ
ExposiçãoSubsecção ServiçosColecçõesBiblioteca
saltar menu: ALT+x
The Laboratory of Conservation and Restoration »
Activities
Training
Future

Educational support for school visits »


Rosto Romano - Imagem relativa à subsecção Serviços

The Laboratory of Conservation and
Restoration of the Museu Monográfico
of Conimbriga


Founded in 1962, in the sequence of the intervention in
the archaeological site of Conimbriga, that foresaw it
existence since 1929, the Museu Monográfico de
Conimbriga always counted among its services the
Laboratory of Conservation and Restoration and the
Workshop of Restoration of Mosaics, as indispensable
elements for carrying its original objectives - the preservation,
investigation and public exhibition of the ruins of the
Roman city - and of those other missions that its historical
course dictated - the execution of works out of its
geographical area, the support to the scientific investigation
in the country and the dissemination of good practices in
Conservation and Restoration of Mobile and Immobile Cultural
Heritage.



Activities

1963-1977:
permanent accompaniment to the Luso-French
campaigns of excavation in the monumental center of
the city [direction of J. M. Bairrão Oleiro and later Jorge
Alarcão (Instituto de Arqueologia da Faculdade de
Letras da Universidade de Coimbra) and Robert Etienne
(University of Bordéus)]

1974-1984:
remodelling of the Museu Monográfico -
permanent exhibition of 1161 objects divided in
twenty-six themes.

1979-1986:
renewal of the permanent exhibition of the
National Museum of Archaeology (restoration of all the
exposed materials; some were object of intervention for
the first time)

1981-1993:
intervention in the framework of training in
Conservation in Portugal.

1994-1998:
great national exhibitions of archaeology
(Lisboa Subterrânea - 1994; Idade do Bronze em
Portugal- 1995; De Ulisses a Viriato - 1996;
Portugal Romano - 1997; Pavilhão de Portugal -EXPO-98)

Metal Cleaning: this link opens a new window
Ceramic Restoration: this link opens a new window
Captation: Metal cleaning
Captation: Ceramic Restoration
Top


Training

Courses of Training of Technicians of Conservation
and Restoration of Archaeological and Ethnographical
Heritage (1981-1983; 1987-1989)

Courses for Training of Assistants of Restoration
of Mosaics (1987)

Courses for Training of Artisan Mosaicists
(1987-1989) (in partnership with the Instituto de Emprego
e Formação Profissional))

Training
Practical Training in Conservation and Restoration of
Archaeological Heritage given by the Escola Superior
de Conservação e Restauro (IPPC, later IPM).

Metal Cleaning: this link opens a new window
General aspect of Workshop of Restoration of Mosaics: this link opens a new window
Captation: Metal cleaning
Captation: General aspect of Workshop of Restoration of Mosaics
Top


Future

The evolution of Human Ressources and the reassessment of the Museum's activity, which is intended to develop a new phase of intervention in the ruins of Conimbriga (expansion of the visiting perimeter, rehabilitation of the zone open to the public, introduction of new technologies in the exhibition area of the Site and of the Museum, new investigation phase, territorial intervention enlarged by the collaboration with entities involved in the valorisation of the heritage of the region), draws many challenges to the Laboratory and the Workshop of Mosaics both well-known and new. Well-known because the institutions have memory, new because there are other conditions of intervention, techniques and ethical imperatives, objectives of the projects and impact to a public renewed in its aspirations, in short because it is always surprising the discovery of our relationship with the past.

The Laboratory continues to render services to a wide range of institutions.

The Workshop of Restoration of Mosaics, in addition to the work in the site and in the long run commitment with the National Museum of Archaeology (mosaics " of the Muses ", of Torre de Palma and " of Ulisses ", of Santa Vitória do Ameixial), is currently involved in projects of conservation of in-situ mosaics at Quinta das Longas (Elvas) e Santiago da Guarda (Ansião). It should also be mentioned the intervention in the University of Coimbra that allowed to recover the first well-known Roman mosaic in old Aeminium.


Top
Portuguese
2002 @ Museu Monográfico de Conimbriga / IPMWebdesign: Mediaprimer.pt